Notes from class:
- The formation of amino acids are built upon peptide bonds
- Mono + mono = poly
- Proteins are Polymers
- Units repeat in amino acids
- Know that condensation is the same as Dehydration synthesis
- You will know it’s a peptide bond through the Carbon-Nitrogen connection.
We have the N terminus – C terminus
Protein Function and Shape
- 1. Secondary – fold once stabilized by hydrogen bonds only no R group
Motifs (helix turn helix)
COO- = ACID
- Tertiary Structure (final fold)
- Influenced by R-groups
- Domains – stable structure.
Quaternary Structure: amino acids fold them together
Most protein folding require help or a chaperone
- -hydrogen bonds
- Hydrophobic interactions
- Disulfide bond or S-S
Two Quaternary Structure
**on the exam focus on the right structure level**
When a protein doesn’t fold correctly it can cause Creutzfeld & Jacob disease
An example is when a prion is corrupt and forms beta sheets.
How proteins fold
*Protein cannot replicate themselves.